400 MONROE ST. DETROIT, MI 48226

Description

•    Historic 8 story building
•    Built in 1886, Renovated in 1986
•    Approximately 26,000 sq. ft. per floor
•    Brick and wood beam construction

Leasing & Brokerage

Located in downtown Detroit’s “Greektown”, at the corner of Brush and Monroe, the International Center building is convenient to Wayne County Building, City County Building, Courts, and Detroit’s most popular entertainment districts.

Amenities

A 10 story high atrium, containing one of Michigan’s most unique landmarks, the world’s tallest indoor waterfall (Guinness Book of World Records), Fishbone’s Rhythm Kitchen Café, one of the area’s most popular restaurants, a bank, shops, convenience store, indoor access to the Atheneum Suites Hotel and Conference Center are within the building.

Improvements

HVAC is comprised of individual package heating/cooling units. Gas fired high efficiency boilers; efficient engineered ducts, individual zone controls fully automatic. Elevators include two very large freight elevators on each side of the building, and a central bank of four Otis passenger elevators. Both the Monroe and Beaubien lobbies are noted for their extensive marble treatments. The building is sprinkled, and meets all fire code requirements, and is also asbestos free. There is high-speed internet connection availability.

Management

The owners of the building also manage and are tenants of the building, directly employing a staff of carpenters, electricians, plumbers, HVAC certified technicians and others skilled in the building trades. Management is known for quality tenant improvement construction, from space planning to finish. Also directly employed are security personnel who are in the building on a 7 day per week, 24 hour per day basis, equipped with a video monitoring system.

Transportation

Bus and People Mover Stations are adjacent to the premises. Freeway access is two blocks from the building. There is a seven story parking structure with an enclosed 3rd floor walkway connecting the building. Additionally, ample surface lot parking is across the street from the building. The Atheneum Suites Hotel (also connected to the building) offers valet parking.

HISTORY
hr

The original Ferry’s Seed Warehouse was constructed on this site in 1881, but burned to the ground in 1886. In 1887 it was reconstructed on a grander scale. In the following year (1887) D. M. Ferry & Company commissioned Gordon W. Lloyd to erect a new building (along Brush) which is still standing today. As the Ferry Seed Company expanded, they used the latest in construction techniques for their facility. The existing International Center building is actually 4 independent structures, each with a different type of construction. From west to east: Concrete encased steel with in-place clay tile floors(reinforced with Kahn-bars, by the company founded by Julius Kahn, brother to Albert); heavy timber post-and-beam; concrete encased cast iron; and concrete encased steel with reinforced concrete slabs. You can see the different buildings if you look closely at the facade. The newest Ferry Seed building is now the Atheneum Suite Hotel, which was a very early reinforced concrete column and slab, with drop capitals spaced around 19′ on center. The building was constructed in the 1920’s by Walbridge Aldinger, designed by George Mason.

 

hr

Loading...

155 WEST CONGRESS  DETROIT, MI 48226

Description


Historic 6 story building
17,600 square feet per floor
12′ floor heights
Built in early 1900’s, TOTAL RENOVATION in 1988

Location

The Murphy-Telegraph building is located at the intersection of Shelby and Congress, across the street from the Penobscot Building in the heart of Detroit’s “Financial District”.

This building is primarily office (floors 2 – 6) with retail on the first floor. Larger tenants include the National headquarters of Avanti Greeting Card Company, the law firm of Nagi, Baxter and Seymour, PC and law firm of Skupin and Lucas.

Amenities

A 10 story high atrium, containing one of Michigan’s most unique landmarks, the world’s tallest indoor waterfall (Guinness Book of World Records), Fishbone’s Rhythm Kitchen Café, one of the area’s most popular restaurants, a bank, shops, convenience store, indoor access to the Atheneum Suites Hotel and Conference Center are within the building.

Improvements

HVAC is comprised of individual package heating/cooling units. Gas fired high efficiency boilers; electric cooling, engineered ducts, individual zone controls.

Fire Rated construction with fire stand pipes, extinguishers and hoses throughout the building; a state of the art smoke and fire detection and alarm system monitored 24 hours per day; hoses on each floor, fire safety doors throughout.

The lobby renovations include marble and oak finishes with recessed, cove and pendant lighting, with entrances on both Shelby and Congress.

All restrooms and office floors are barrier free accessible per ADA requirements.

Management

Owned and operated by 400 Monroe Associates which operates three other office buildings, three restaurants, a shopping mall and a hotel and conference center, all in the downtown area. We have on staff managers, electricians, plumbers, carpenters, painters, building engineers, and other skilled tradesman to meet various tenant needs.

Security personnel are stationed at the building 24 hours each day, seven days per week and utilize electronic monitoring equipment.

Transportation

Parking is plentiful in the vicinity of the building. The Cobo Convention Center parking is located directly across the street. Three other parking garages are located within a block radius. A surface lot is adjacent to the building that can accommodate both long and short term parking.

Two People Mover station are readily accessible to the building, at Cobo Station and the Financial District Station. In addition, both SMART and DOT bus lines have stops near the building.

The building is located one block from the Lodge Freeway entrance and exits, providing extremely convenient access, without fighting the congestion of downtown traffic.

HISTORY
hr

The Murphy Building was constructed in 1903 for businessman Simon J. Murphy, who intended the building to house small manufacturing enterprises; it was originally known as the “Murphy Power Building”. Simon J. Murphy was a Maine lumberman who made his fortune in timber, oil, and mining. Murphy owned substantial property in downtown Detroit, and established the Murphy Power Company and built this structure shortly before his death in 1905. The original plan for the building was to rent space to manufacturers requiring power and/or steam heat. Murphy’s companies also constructed a number of other buildings in the Financial district, including the original Penobscot building which was under construction at the time of Simon Murphy’s death. His son William H. Murphy continued the construction of the Penobscot Building, and added two more buildings of the same name, as well as a second Murphy Power Building (now the Marquette Building) in 1906. The original tenants of the building included shoe and cigar manufacturing firms. Later tenants were primarily printing and publishing concerns.

The Telegraph Building is a six-story, flat-roofed office building faced with white terra cotta, constructed in 1913. The street-level storefronts have been renovated with green cast panels and white marble. Above the storefronts, vertical piers frame the large windows that dominate the facade, arranged in four bays on the Congress facade and eight along Shelby. At the top, a frieze and simple cornice surmount the building. The Telegraph Building originally housed the Detroit hub of Western Union.

We’re Here For You!

GET IN TOUCH